Nothing, not even the savage blitz on Exeter in May 1942, has been able to stop our continuos service to the smoking public in the South family of tobacconistsWest. Our family business was established in 1880 – since that date there have been three generations of McGaheys at the helm. Edgar McGahey saw the tobbaconist shop front in 1955business through the war years- relocation in a garden shed at the bottom of his garden in Barnfield Road.
The business returned to High Street almost on the same site as the former shop in 1955, the year in which Edgar McGahey died. Michael, who had been in business since 1942, steered the business through the next period of it’s history. Whilst 245 High Street remained true to it’s policy of specialisation the company expanded into prominently placed kiosks in London Inn Square, Princesshay and Heavitree.